How to Manage Adult Separation Anxiety Disorder



Talk to a psychologist about trying exposure therapy.,
Practice exposure therapy.If your doctor or therapist decides that exposure therapy is a good idea for you, and you are ready to try it, there are several techniques you can use.,
Ask your loved one to help you practice exposure therapy.

Exposure therapy is when a person is exposed to the thing they fear the most, but within a safe and supportive setting. In the case of ASAD, you would have to face your fears of separation. To do this, you would very gradually expose yourself to the anxiety provoking situation—such as being away from your home or loved ones—for short periods of time.A psychologist or trained therapist can develop a specific exposure therapy program that can help you overcome your anxiety.

, For instance, you might start just by thinking about being separated from your home or loved ones, and describe how you feel. Later, you might practice being separated from your loved ones or being away from home for periods of time that increase in length, and then discuss how you felt.

Even short-term exposure therapy treatments (three to six sessions) can help ease your anxiety.

, If your therapist approves, asking your loved one to help you can make the therapy process easier. To begin, have your loved one go into a different room while you practice calming techniques, such as breathing exercises, or work on banishing anxious thoughts.Gradually increase the distance and time that you spend away from your loved one.

Comments are disabled.